2000-register

Rust proofing

To: tkoppe@asv.de
Subject: Rust proofing
From: BrewsterDd@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 15:36:46 EDT
Thorsten,

Sorry for the delay in replying - I don't get a chance to check my e-mails
very often. The trailing arms should not need protection - the aluminium
alloy seems to be pretty inert and doesn't corrode. Even on the worst cars
when scrapped, these seem to be fine. As for the subframe arms, one option is
to inject through the bolt holes for the trailing arm shackles. However, even
with the amount of salt (and rust) in Scottish cars, these subframe arms
don't seem to suffer from corrosion to any great extent. The weakest points
are normally where the mounting rubbers sit, as the dirt and water also
gathers there.
As for hidden box sections, there is one that runs under the front of the
rear seat, which is well worth protecting. Mine rusted from the inside out.
Rust proofer can be applied to the holes in the top of the cross member. A
word of warning, though, there are small gaps at the bottom and front of this
(where the carpet is glued on). Take off the carpet and pull back the main
carpet before treating, otherwise the rust proofing fluid can find it's way
out, soaking into the carpets.

Hope this isn't too late!

///
///  2000-register@autox.team.net mailing list