2000-register

Re: 132hp/cam: carb needles

To: "2000 List" <2000-register@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 132hp/cam: carb needles
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2002 01:25:11 +0100
Hi Dave
Have you considered taking the injection unit as well, they can be reliable
once sorted, and this would solve your needle problem.
The most important thing I have come across with an auto box is not to
remove or refit the engine with the torque converter bolted up, this will
apparently damage a seal in the converter. The trick is to fit the torque
converter to the box, bolt the engine in place then line up the hole in the
back plate of the engine with one of the holes in the drive plate, then turn
the gearbox output shaft until one of the fixing holes in the torque
converter appears, start a bolt then turn the engine until the next hole
appears etc, only tighten after all four bolts are started. I also believe
though I have no way to be certain that fitting the engine with the torque
converter fitted to the drive plate is why the drive plates crack.
I don't think it would make the job any easier to remove the box as well,
due to the additional weight (slush pumps are damned heavy), and the problem
of manoeuvring the extra bulk of the combined unit in to place.

Graham.