2000-register

Re: 132hp/cam: carb needles

Subject: Re: 132hp/cam: carb needles
From: Dave W <dw_triumph@clear.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 23:31:15 +1200
Thanks for all the help,

Here's the next question:
With the HS6 carbs having that small air box the motor needed to be packed over
towards the battery. Do I need that extra mount
under the "J" overdrive 'box, is that something to do with the HS6's too?
I'm getting the front end from an "S" (roll/bar-engine xmember, PAS etc), so I
can get the engine in the right place for the carbs.
It's just the matter now of the new gearbox being lined up so I don't get
vibrations!!:-(

Thanks
Davew

> Hi Dave
> Have you considered taking the injection unit as well, they can be reliable
> once sorted, and this would solve your needle problem.
> The most important thing I have come across with an auto box is not to
> remove or refit the engine with the torque converter bolted up, this will
> apparently damage a seal in the converter. The trick is to fit the torque
> converter to the box, bolt the engine in place then line up the hole in the
> back plate of the engine with one of the holes in the drive plate, then turn
> the gearbox output shaft until one of the fixing holes in the torque
> converter appears, start a bolt then turn the engine until the next hole
> appears etc, only tighten after all four bolts are started. I also believe
> though I have no way to be certain that fitting the engine with the torque
> converter fitted to the drive plate is why the drive plates crack.
> I don't think it would make the job any easier to remove the box as well,
> due to the additional weight (slush pumps are damned heavy), and the problem
> of manoeuvring the extra bulk of the combined unit in to place.
>
> Graham.
>

> Hi,
> I've just bought a '74 2500TC with an over-the-hill motor, so I'm going to
> do an engine swap. The new motor I'm getting is out of an
> early Mk2 PI (132bhp cam), what would be the best needles for the original
> 150CDSE Strombergs or should I be thinking about SU's??
> Second question, what sort of problems are there when bolting the engine
> back onto an auto 'box, the manual says it's easier with
> the auto taken out too??
>

> Thanks in advance
>
> Davew
> NZ