2000-register

Manual gearbox parts, where to buy

To: "Asgeir Nesoen" <asgeir.nesoen@hf.uio.no>, <2000-register@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Manual gearbox parts, where to buy
From: "Terry & Cindy @ ESP" <esp@hypermax.net.au>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 08:37:04 +1000
this box is not simple to overhaul if you dont have a few (easily made)
special tools. As an absolute minimum, you need some heavy c-clip pliers to
remove the 3rd gear mainshaft clip. The churchilll tool is highly desirable.
A selection of steel tubes (bits of pipe), are needed to press (not bash)
bearings on & off.

After fixing literally hundreds of these over 25 years, I have found the
best syncros are genuine ones. pull apart a handful of old boxes and you
will get enough, especially from 1st & 4th. No supplier I know, has original
syncro cones and most UK suppliers are selling junk .  I have found as many
worn out gears as syncro rings. Dont assume new syncros will fix it. You
must measure the gap between the syncro face and gear face when they are
pushed tightly (and squarley) together. Aim for 0.025" minimum

The double row 1st gear bearings are not essential for standard street )not
race) use only cars. A good quality layshaft is however.

The adjustable washers should be avail from all  suppliers like Moss,
Rimmers etc. They can hardly stuff these up.

All the bearings & seals can be bought at your local bearing supply shop.
The layshaft will have either open or closed needle bearings. Get it apart
and work out which it has before ordering,

if you gearbox has overdrive, I'm happy to pass on comments about that also,

terry o'beirne

///
///  2000-register@autox.team.net mailing list
///