New Subscriber - & Questions

To: "Triumph 6 Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: New Subscriber - & Questions
From: "Ken Davis" <kenjdavis@home.com>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 07:44:13 -0700
Hi List,

My Name is Ken Davis, South San Francisco, CA.

I've had a 73 TR6 for all of 2 weeks.  It's is very good body
condition, no rust, good paint, engine runs well, but engine
compartment is quite dirty, but I'm cleaning that a little each
day.  So far from going over the body, and underneath I can find
no trace of rust.  I'm pretty pleased with it.  Had a few little
things needing fixing so far - the tank leaked gas when full from
around the sender unit, but with a new washer that's been
stopped.  Odometer doesn't work, but speedo does, so one coming
weekend I'm going to pull it out and see what I can do to it.

I have a couple of questions for the group.

I currently have 185/15 tires in good condition on it, but the
rear shocks may be a little tired.  I've seen articles about kits
to replace these with tube shocks, are they worth it, is it a
complex replacement to put them in?  Also what 60/70 series tires
are close to perfect replacements?

I believe it's about a 7.5:1 compression.  Has anyone shaved the
head to raise compression, and power?   Any tricks, Info I should
consider?

It has a new clutch.  When I depress the clutch pedal, the pedal
travels about 1/2way down before it really engages the thrust
bearing.  Is this normal?  If not, how do I adjust it so it
engages a little better.

Every so often I hear a clunck/thump from the rear.   First guess
is a u-joint is going, but is there anything else it might be,
and how would I test for okay-ness?

Is there a fram or other equivalent for the oil filter?  When I
changed filters last weekend with one from Moss, I couldn't get
the filter housing out; to many things like the fuel filter in
the way.  Is there a spin-on replacement available for it?
Also, my oil pressure is hovering around 75 when cold, 65-70 when
hot.  Is this too high.  I cleaned the pressure relief thing, but
no real changes.. Should I worry?

TIA for any help

Ken
SSF