Re: mpg

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: mpg
From: TR6GREG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 20:25:28 EDT
Bob, here's some info that may help or may just serve to confuse the
issue...I had some of the same questions you've had concerning the fuel
quantity and mpg.  In dong some checking , I found that the fuel quantity of
your TR6 depends on what year it was manufactured.  Here's what I've found:
1969 thru 1971 models have a fuel capacity of 13.5 US gallons (11.25 Imperial
gallons)  1972 models have a capacity of 12.3 US gallons (10.25 Imperial
gallons) and 1973 thru 1976 models have a fuel capacity of 11.4 US gallons
(9.5 Imperial gallons).  Note the decrease thru the years.  I've seen many
numbers batted about, and the specs in most of the manuals that I've seen
only show one number, and that is 13.5 US gallons (11.25 Imperial gallons, or
51 litres).  The Bentley manual is the only one that I've seen that shows
anything different, and I tend to believe the numbers in it as they match
what I've put in the fuel tank on my 1972 model, ie, about 12.4 US gallons.
I've also noticed that many folks get US gallon and Imperial gallons confused
when they talk about what their capacities are, which is pretty easy to do.
As for gas mileage, for what it's worth, I get  20 to 22 mpg no matter what
kind of driving that I do, city or highway.  My engine is pretty newly
overhauled, about 5,000 miles on it, a very stock engine and carbs, runs
great, and burns very clean on premium unleaded fuel, the highest rating I
can find.  Why the capacities differ so much from year to year is a mystery
to me, maybe someone out there can shed some light on the issue...?  As I
recall, we discussed this once before, but it never hurts to do it again,
hopefully some new info will pop up!

Greg Donegan
72 TR6
Hebron, KY