overdrive problem

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: overdrive problem
From: RedTriumphTr6@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 15:48:32 EDT
Anyone know why my overdrive might be not kicking in when the switch on the
column is tripped?  I have the later overdrive on my 74 1/2 and it had a good
used switch installed when some sort of problem developed with the original
switch when the car was being test driven prior to delivery to me in late 98.
 It worked fine until now.  Now the overdrive does not engage for a while
after I trip the switch (usually about a 5 to 10 second delay).  Also, I have
noticed that the overdrive sometimes (infrequently)  disengages abruptly for
no apparent reason as I am cruising.  I only use od in fourth gear, although
some one told me I could also use it in third gear.  jDo you think that my
switch needs to be replaced, or is the problem more serious and in the
overdrive unit itself?  Maybe my prior vacuum problem affected the od
engaging?  Last weekend I experimented a little and kicked her up to 85-90 on
the interstate with the od engaged; it was a 90 degree day, the road was
somewhat bumpy, and after a while the od kicked out.  I could not get it to
engage again until  I tried it the next day in cooler weather.  Strange.  Any
thoughts?
                                  Bob Pierson