RE: overdrive problem

To: "6 Pack (E-mail)" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: overdrive problem
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 14:07:18 -0600

Easiest to check is oil level. If that's fine, then do a pressure test. The
J-Type (ie. later) OD requires >450psi to engage and stay on. If that
pressure is not being generated then you can try replacing the o-rings in
the unit  -- most are accessible from beneath the car. But if that doesn't
cure the problem, you will likely have to pull the gearbox and OD out
(follow the manual for how to disengage the OD just prior to pulling the
gearbox to minimize the effort required to separate the OD and gearbox). And
the likely culprit is the OD oil pump (or less likely, the two big o-rings
which fit on the pistons inside the unit).

All of this is in the repair manual (I am making the assumption you have one
of these). If you end up needing parts (like a new pump and housing) then
the usual US suppliers are likely out of stock. Check with a local Volvo
dealer as they have the same parts and have better access to stock.

Peter Zaborski -- CF58310 UO