Watt's Going On?

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Watt's Going On?
From: rcotting@mgnet.ca
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 11:45:22 -0300

Gang - I spent just a lovely 10 hours on Saturday sorting out reverse lamp
problems on my 74.  In hindsight, the fact that they did not work was
probably result of any number of problems (bad switch on tranny;  bad bulb
holder(s);  bad ground;  wiring) - or a conspiracy perpetrated by aliens.
They work now, #^^%dammit!!  But I have a question -  in the midst of my
troublesome day, my multi-meter kept telling me I had 12 volts at both
lights AND a good ground.  Hooking up a hot wire directly from the battery
to the lights proved that they would work - if only I was getting 12 volts
as my meter was telling me.  Finally, after tracing the problems back to
the wiring connections just before the wires disappear into the tranny
tunnel, I simply placed the live wire into the empty socket of a two socket
connector and voila!!  Is it possible that my multi-meter WAS reading
correctly at 12 volts but that other principles of electricity were at play
and the lights just wouldn't - you know, light?

Richard C.