Re: Watt's Going On?

To: <rcotting@mgnet.ca>
Subject: Re: Watt's Going On?
From: "J. Garruba" <jgarruba@hotpop.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 12:09:18 -0400
Richard,

    I one point occurred to me as I read your description.  If there was a
high restiance in the voltage supply for the reverse lights.  Your meter
would not show less than 12 volts unless the circuit was complete.  I.E. the
high restiance would not cause a voltage drop unless there was current
flowing in the circuit.  This means that if you unplugged the feed wire from
the reverse light bulb and tested it while it was unplugged.  It would show
12 volts because no current was flowing in the circuit.  As soon as wire was
connected back to ground through the bulb, the voltage reading would drop
due to the high restiance in the supply circuit.  So to answer your
question, your meter is probably working fine, and it is important to make
voltage readings which the entire circuit intact, if you are looking for a
voltage drop.

Best Regards,
Joseph Garruba