RE: leaded fuel O2 sensor

To: "Santamaria, Joseph (Joseph)" <jsantamaria@lucent.com>
Subject: RE: leaded fuel O2 sensor
From: Bernard Robbins <brobbins@wlg.nec.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 11:40:18 +1200
Hi Joe,

Re the VSR: yep this is definately a problem, especially for a PI with the
higher compression ratio (and therefore cylinder temperatures). The lower
compression 2000TC's and 2.5 TC's don't seem to have the same trouble
unless they are well and truly thrashed hard. The VSR is a function of how
hard the engine works and becomes significant over around 3000 RPM (so
Grandpa driving is 2000 auto is not as like to have problems as the boy
racer in the MOD suped up PI - I fit in somewhere between the two).

There are a number of tin type devices which have been offered for sale
which claim to leach tin into the fuel to prevent VSR. These basically
don't work. If you aren't going to fit hardened valve seats, then use
valvemaster or similar. The only problem with valvemaster is it has a lot
of kerosene in it which fouls the plugs round town.

The early PI's like mine and yours have the larger inlet valves and the
advice I have been given is not to fit hardened seats on the grounds they
are an interference fit and if the motor overheats, the seats may well drop
out. Someone else may have some advice on this...

The later PI's (facelift) have smaller valves and can be fitted with
hardened valve seats. There was some information going around that these
already had hardened seats which fits with my experience. I ran a 1975
facelift PI for around 30,000 km on unleaded with no additive and
experienced no VSR.

I replaced the o-rings with standard ones from the local engineering outfit
(Pikyl) and they seem to work just fine (been in there 3 years now...).
There is a special seal between the fuel pump and the motor which cost
around $35 NZ. I had no problem with the banjos on the metering unit or the
little rubber seals where the banjos screw into in the metering unit. I
understand most of these seals are available from Rimmers or similar
outfits in the UK.

I don't have a circuit for the O2 sensor, but if you do a search on DIY
EFI, I'm sure you will find someone who has.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers
Bernard

'71 PI (I've stopped it dripping oil at last!!)
'73 TR6 PI

Regards

Bernard Robbins

NEC New Zealand Ltd