Re: spline lock

To: "6pack list" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: spline lock
From: Peter Macholdt <pmachold@pluto.njcc.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 16:41:02 -0400
Joseph,

Before you think seriously about these CV joints, I'd talk to Nick or Jim
(Trsx69@aol.com) at NAR.  They had a pair on Nick's TR6 autocross car
"MadMax" and they blew apart when he had it out on the drag strip at the
TRF Party last year.  He has since gone back to the splined shaft.

Peter Macholdt
TR250

>Jim,
>
>    Do you know where the CV joint axles might be found.  What Company Makes
>them?
>
>Thanks,
>Joseph Garruba

>>> 2. What causes spline lock?
>>> 3. How does one eliminate spline lock?
>>
>>As Berry wrote, "The axle shafts have to be able change lengths to
>>accommodate suspension movement". If the splines don't slide to accommodate
>>the change in length, bad things happen. Anything from a hard "clunk" sound
>>as the splines come free, to hearing the free ends of the broken axle stubs
>>trashing your suspension pieces, to watching a rear wheel and hub go
>rolling
>>off to one side of the road as you go rolling off the other.
>>
>>Spline lock is most likely to happen during very hard cornering when
>>suspension movement is coupled with high acceleration or braking forces
>>being applied to the axles. In a well maintained car that isn't being raced
>>or autocrossed, it's not likely to happen at all.
>>
>>In addition to the suggestions for proper maintenance, there's also an
>>available aftermarket set of CV joint axles for the TR6 that eliminates the
>>sliding splines altogether.
>>
>>Jim Hill
>>Madison WI

Peter Macholdt