Float height

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Float height
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 00:02:56 -0700 (PDT)
Russ, and others---A few days ago you asked if there was a different
height for setting the floats after installing the Grose Jets, as you
had symptoms of either flooding or starving when making certain turns. I
responded that setting the floats at .625 left the fuel level on the
high side, and try resetting to .750 (as the Haynes manual calls for.)
I got a response from lister, Valerie, asking about this setting. (I
think she was just trying to say in a nice way that my numbers may not
be right.) Well she got me checking again, and here's what turned up:

The Bentley book says to set the float ht. to between .625 and .627
(16-17mm)

The Triumph Repair Manual gives the identical numbers.

There's only .002 difference between these numbers in inches, yet
there's .0394 difference between 16 and 17 mm, (in inches.)  Seeing this
error many years ago left me to feel their figures on carbs weren't
reliable, so....

The Haynes book on the Zenith-Stromberg CD carburetors shows the proper
setting at between .725 and .787 inches (16 to 17 mm)  Now all three
"bibles" agree that the setting to be between 16 and 17 mm. Obviously
something has to give here. Some further math shows that 16 mm to be
.612 inches, with 17mm being .652 inches. It would appear that the .625
that Russ set his floats at to be correct, and my figures from the
Haynes manual to be incorrect, so far as the decimal equivalents.  For
those of you who think metric, this would probably never cause
confusion.

Personally, I stil prefer the lower fuel level setting of .750  (19 mm,
for those who are used to such equivalents) but now I must admit that
it's just that. A personal choice, and not something from a manual that
can be considered completely accurate.

Thanks, Valerie!   (I think)

Dick Taylor