Re: Float height with Grose Jets

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Float height with Grose Jets
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 10:17:38 -0700 (PDT)
Russ,

I get the same problem sometimes.  On left turns from a stoplight after
idling, the car sometimes bogs during the turn if I'm going at it hard.
 I never thought much of it before, but since you've got the same
problem, I wonder what's going on.  Anyone have any ideas?

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6

--- Russ Pagano <pagano@home.com> wrote:
> Previously I wrote after rebuilding my carbs and have since fixed the
> problem of slow return to idle. I adjusted the bypass valve springs
> with
> nearly full tension but that didn't seem to help. It turns out I must
> have
> bent the new throttle shaft when peening the butterfly plate screws
> so
> that the throttle would not close sufficiently to get enough vacuum
> for
> the ignition retard unit. A few taps in the opposite direction on the
> shafts got it purring again so I went for a test drive. Now my
> problem is
> when  I idle waiting to make a left turn then accelerate quickly the
> engine bogs down, that is, now power for a few seconds -very
> dangerous. It
> seems like it's starved for fuel although I guess it's possible that
> it's
> flooding the carb. Right turns are OK and so are other quick
> maneuvers or
> slow start on a left turn or left turns without idling for a few
> moments.
> It didn't do this before the rebuild so I'm guessing this is float
> height
> related. I installed Grose jets as part of the rebuild and double
> checked
> the floats to be .625" as measured from the highest part of the float
> the carb body in the inverted position.  I'm wondering if this is the
> correct float height when using Grose jets? The mixture seems perhaps
> tad lean although it is difficult for me to discern much change in
> idle
> using the piston lift method. An other suggestions on the cause?
> Russ
> 71 TR6

Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
http://photos.yahoo.com