Charging... New Alternator

To: "Triumph 6 Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Charging... New Alternator
From: "Ken Davis" <kenjdavis@home.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 17:19:15 -0700
First off, thanks for the info on the alternator problem I'd been
having in the 73.  Finally, last night, while the son and heir
was out on a date of sorts, the alt gave up the ghost.. So,
starting at 0700 today, out she came.  Sized bolts were the
biggest problem. Took off the plastic cover, found the problem,
the rectifier.. one, maybe 2, of the stiff connectors from the
rectifier blades had separated in the 'pit'  on the blade.

Just for the hell of it, I went to BAP - a Bay area import parts
strore, but didn't expect anything.  Told my story, the guy
checked his computer, and Lo!  he had one oh the 3-wire, 74-76
series.  Mine had 4 wire, the plug-3 wires, and one off to the
side, like it was tapping into the VR / rectifier circuit.  Look
carefully at them, thought oh hell, and in it went.. Also new fan
belt.  Well, it needed a jump from the jag, and after about 5
minutes, pull choke, turn key, engine bursts into life, IGN light
goes out, volt meter climbing to just a hair over 14.

My thanks go to the group, and to Dan masters (if he's still in
the list) for his great write up on fitting a GM alt.  i didn't
need to, but I'd read his instructions and was ready to if
necessary...

Thanks for the support

Ken
South San Francisco