4 way valve

To: "6packlist" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: 4 way valve
From: "John Truttman" <jtruttman@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 10:18:52 -0700
Dear Jim,

Please forward the information about the rebuild kit for the 4 way valve. I
too rebuilt my brakes the same way; new MC, rebuilt calipers w/stainless
pistons, new rear wheel cylinders, and Dot 5 fluid. So far no problems after
maybe 500 miles, but this comment scares me. Perhaps the rubber in the 4 way
valve is original, and will be affected by the silicone brake fluid. I'd
better just fix it now!

Regards/John Truttman/74 TR6/ Santa Cruz

Sam,
I have experienced this problem twice on my 72, also having new master, new
hoses, new wheel cylinders and newly rebuilt front calipers.  After driving
back from CT once, I noticed a lose in power, then I started to smell brake
lining, when I stoped the front brakes were SMOKING!  I opened the bleeder
and the pressure shot out and was able to drive the rest of the way home,
being careful only to apply the brakes when absolutily needed.  The cause,
The 4 way vavle under the brake master.  The "o"rings swelled up and would
not allow the fluild to release from the calipers.  I bought a rebuild kit
from TRF (I know keep several on hand, as it happened again several years
later) replaced the two "o" and did not have a problem again for several
years.  TRF does not lest the kit in the cat, but I should have the part
nember in my stash, If you need the number let me know.

Best Regards
Jim Holewka
6-Pack Chief Judge
Wayne NJ