RE: Carb screws

To: "6 Pack (E-mail)" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Carb screws
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 09:33:45 -0600

They are called Pozi-drive and are common in Europe but not in North
America. Pozi screws have a + like regular Philips screws plus they have a
smaller x to form a star pattern with 8 branches (4 large and 4 small).
Regular Philips screw drivers don't fit the Pozi screws quite correctly and
over time they wear out the heads (sooner if you really torque them). TR6s
are full of these screws (at least they were from the factory). And you're
right, most of the screws have been hacked by owners and mechanics who use
Philips screw drivers on them. Any decent fastener or tool shop should have
Pozi screw drivers in different sizes. The most common for TR6s is the PZ2.
Also useful are PZ1 and PZ3. On the later cars, the bolts which hold the
rear bumper name badge (the one that says 'TRIUMPH') are PZ4 but that's the
only PZ4 size screw I have found on my car so far.

BTW, the screws your carb mechanic was most likely referring to are the 4
which hold the dashpot cover on each carb. If yours are indeed hacked and
you want to get new ones fast, just got the local Volvo dealer. Volvos used
Stromberg carbs and their dealers still stock (or can get pretty quickly)
lots of parts for the carbs. (They can get J-type OD parts as well, for less
than the big 3 british suppliers).

HTH.

Peter Zaborski -- CF58310 UO