Re: Fire in the Hole!!??

To: rcotting@mgnet.ca
Subject: Re: Fire in the Hole!!??
From: "ROBERT L. GANNON" <trsix74@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 20:49:10 -0400
I would like to address this problem. When I did my very first engine rebuild,
I ended up with a similar problem. I found that after a very short period of
running the engine on fresh spark plugs, the # 6 seemed to foul quickly and it
was not very noticeable when the car idled, but very much so when trying to
gain speed. With my situation it was the Head Gasket which had not sealed
properly and oil was seeping out of the rear oil hole that leads to the head
and sitting in the cylinder. The answer was to remove the head, clean up up the
piston surfaces with a plastic spatula and make sure all surfaces on both the
block and the head were clean. Once this was achieved a new gasket was put
inplace and with the use of the Bentley Bible I retorqued the head bolts in the
proper sequence. Then the valves were adjusted like wise with the use of the
bible before putting the valve cover and all other components back. After a few
hundred miles I retorqued the engine and went through the motions with the
valves again. Twice a year I check the torque on the headbolts and adjust the
valves. This sounds anal but I don't have any problems in that area. Besides I
like to tinker in the garage on my Toys. That's why I have a TR6.