Fire in the Hole!!??

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Fire in the Hole!!??
From: rcotting@mgnet.ca
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 10:35:47 -0300

Gang - my 6 has always been plagued by a fouling #6 plug which I presume is
due to excessive oil (worn guides, rings, all of the above).  My intention
is to address this problem in due course by way of a thorough rebuild of
the head and bottom end.  In the meantime, I have shares in Quaker State -
which is helpful considering the 20W50 (not 5W30) that I pour into the
engine.  After replacing all six plugs the other day, the car started and
ran just fine but I got no further than the end of my lane when the car
started misbehaving, showing symptoms of no fire on one cylinder - which,
because of the above-noted problem, I'm well-familiar with.  Since the
plugs were brand new, I addressed other elements of the electrical - new
points, condenser.  The coil and wires are new.  I have spark at the
distributor, spark at all wire ends, spark at the #6 plug (though I haven't
checked the spark at all of them).  My question is this - will a stuck or
badly carboned valve give me the same symptoms?  If so, how should I check
and make sure my valves are all operating properly? BTW, when the engine is
running (albeit roughly), disconnecting the #6 wire seems to make no
difference even though there is spark to the cylinder - this leads me to
believe I'm not getting proper combustion on that cylinder.  Because I am a
duffus, I thought that poor combustion might be due to a stuck or poor
valve.

Rich C.
'74 6
In Halifax and missing the best touring weather of the year.