Tranny Gear Oil Question

To: 6pack-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Tranny Gear Oil Question
From: jdhenn <jdhenn@prodigy.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 08:13:13 -0400
Hello fellow listers,
At our local British Car Club monthly meeting we had great debate
concerning the correct tranny gear oil.  I have searched the digest
archives and the VTR site but could not come away with a clear answer.
We discussed not using GL5 because of the additives that may eat away
the copper and brass parts, but no one had a definative best answer.  I
pose the question to the TR6 experts. What is the best Gear oil weight
and type to use in our TR6/250 trannies?
Upon draining my tranny I noticed copper/brass metal shavings in the oil
(*&$##%!!). I have never replaced the fluid since acquiring the car a
short while ago and want to put the correct oil in my precious little
baby.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. What better time to love and work
on out Brit cars than the fourth of July weekend. Up the Rebels!  Just
kidding!
--
Jim Henningsen
Orlando, FL