Re: Overdrive over-the-hill?

To: 6Pack List <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Overdrive over-the-hill?
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2000 19:18:23 -0700 (PDT)
First thing you want to check is the oil level in the gearbox.  The o/d
unit uses high pressure to activate the o/d.  You can check the oil
level by pulling the plug on the side of the gearbox.  Ideally this
should be done on level ground with the car on all four wheels, but
this makes it pretty tough to get the plug out!  I usually jack up the
car a bit and CAREFULLY loosen the plug with a 7/16 wrench (it's a
square head plug) until it's finger tight.  Be very careful, because it
is easy to round this head off, and then you're in trouble.  Once you
have it loose, let the car down, and then remove the plug the rest of
the way with your fingers.  If oil comes out when you pull the plug,
the level is okay.  If not, top it up with GL4 hypoy gear oil (GL5 is
bad for the brass components in the box).  Auto parts stores make
special pumps for a few bucks that suck the oil out of the bottle and
pump it into the gearbox.  If you are going to do this, the best thing
is probably to drive the car to get the gbox oil hot, then drain the
oil and refill it with fresh new stuff.

If your oil level isn't the culprit, it's probably electrical.  My car
dropped out of o/d this summer a few times for unknown reasons, then
didn't do it again for months, then did it again.  Probably a bad
connection somewhere.  Check the wiring, switches, and relay.

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6

http://photos.yahoo.com/