Re: Gear box oil change

To: "6pack list" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Gear box oil change
From: Peter Macholdt <pmachold@pluto.njcc.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 09:11:05 -0400
Mark,

I think Tim's advice for removal is the way to go.  I would add one
thought and that is, if you go the visegrip route, keep the tool as close
to the tranny as you can.  That way, you may get the jaws around some of
the threaded part of the plug and get more traction.

Also, I solved this problem forever by welding a large nut over the head
of a new plug.  I can now use a box or socket to remove the plug.  Gotta
be a little careful when putting it back in as it is really easy to
overtighten.  If you want to skip the work, just buy one of the magnetic
drain plugs (they have a hex head) and use it in the filler hole.  It's
not what the plug was made for but who cares as long as it works.

Peter

Peter Macholdt
609-466-2127 Phone
603-925-3050 FAX