Re: Gear box oil change

To: "Creamer, Mark" <CreamerM@cintasmail.com>,
Subject: Re: Gear box oil change
From: "Ken Davis" <kenjdavis@home.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 19:28:47 -0700
Mark,
    what type of OD do you have?  If it's the J, then also drop the plate at
the bottom of the OD unit, careful not to bugger the gasket.  There's a wire
gauze filter in there, check how clean it is, carefully remove to clean if
necessary.  Also clean magnetic strip on the plate...   Now, when all the
plates / drain plug is back on, carefully and slowly fill with your oil.  It
takes a bit of time for the oil to level out in the J OD unit, so plan on an
initial fill, wait 10-15, top of, wait another 10-15 and slowly top a 3rd
time till it dribbles out the filler hole.   You may find the J unit may not
immediately engage, but will pump the oil first - may take 100-200 yards at
45 in 4th to kick in.  this is normal.   And yes, it is a below operation.
the drain plug is smack dab in center seam, the fill plug 1/3 way up the
case, drivers side, , approx. 6" back of the clutch rod assy.

HTH
Ken
So. San Francisco