Re: Connections on starter motor solenoid

To: "Pim Alferink" <fam.alferink@zonnet.nl>
Subject: Re: Connections on starter motor solenoid
From: "J Garruba" <jgarruba@ematic.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 10:28:27 -0800
Pim,

    That is the starter bypass terminal.  When the car is cranked a contact
is completed which allows 12 volts to go directly to the ignition coil,
bypassing the balast resistance wire.  (Normally the coil only gets about
6v)You will notice that the car has a tendancy to start, just as you release
the key from the start position when there is a problem with this wire.  If
you have an electronic ign there may be changes to this circuit, as it is
used primarily in points type systems which lack other means of current
control for the coil.  I don't know why you see 5v here when the car is
running, unless the connection is made to the ign coil positive terminal.
(you said it was disconnected)  I would guess this is a problem in the
starter solenoid, but I have never seen a failure like this.  What type of
ign does your car have?  Does it start easy?

Regards,
Joseph Garruba