Re: Question about adjusting valve clearance

To: "Six pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Question about adjusting valve clearance
From: "James Franks" <jimmble@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 18:29:58 -0400
John,

I've always done it by the Shop manual, 2 at a time. The chalk is a good
idea.

The biggest problem I find with valvetrain noise in TR6/ 250 cars is the
wear on the rocker arms. You will get a groove worn into the arm that
will frustrate your attempts to adjust the lash. What happens is that
the feeler will ride over the unworn portion, but the valve stem will
need several thou' more to "take up the slack". So, your valvetrain
makes noise. The arms are too soft and this happens as early as 50,000
miles on the motor. The rocker shafts wear early as well. Push back the
arms against the springs and look for any galling or evidence of a
groove. If you have wear, replace the shaft.

Jim