Spitfire pushrod

To: airsmyth@covad.net (Brooks Bullock)
Subject: Spitfire pushrod
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 23:46:39 -0700 (PDT)
Brooks---I don't know what the length difference is between the standard
TR6 pushrod and the one that you use from the Spitfire, but the theory
here could be correct. Obviously the clutch pedal should bottom on the
floor pan before the MC bottoms, due to the longer pushrod. I increased
the length of my stock pushrod by.150 to be sure all of the fluid in the
MC is delivered to the slave. I tested by hand that the pedal bottoms
out.  I brought this up about a year ago as a way to get the pedal up
higher, and met with mixed responses to the idea. I've used this
slightly longer (home made) pushrod so my wife can 'take over' on some
of the longer trips. I find my release point much higher than other TR's
I've driven.

I believe one could duplicate this "extra" amount of fluid passed along
by installing the MC with the larger bore that came in the early TR6's.

The "third hole" will give you a slight mechancal advantage in releasing
the clutch. The trade off is that in using the bottom hole the arm can't
rotate as far. If your clutch still releases with the lesser movement,
then you're OK*..But then this is where it all began, isn't it?
*OK, but your SC push rod and piston is working at an angle.

My clutch pedal pressure actually gets lighter as I feel the release go
"over center" long before the pedal bottoms.   More on "pressures" later
in another posting.

Dick T.
'73