Re: Clutch types

To: kmr@pil.net, tjh173@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Clutch types
From: jay_welch@juno.com
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 21:06:02 -0400
Hi Guys,

Here are some notes from a document I have been creating.  I update it
with info from various web sites and email lists and keep it with the car
and in the shop.  It's helpful because I usually forget where I have seen
something.  Hope it helps.

Pressure plate - Use '79-'91 Saab 900, non-turbo 2 liter engine (specify
Sachs parts only).  Sachs part# SC436, Saab Metrix Parts # 87-28-123.
Available from 'The Parts Guy" (phone 800-874-1850 - $49.95 + shipping).

Note: Use only Laycock disk with Laycock pressure plate.  Not sure how
accurate this statement is but someone made a point to mention it.

Good luck,
Jay Welch - Abington, MA
Member "Cape Cod British Car Club"
http://clubs.hemmings.com/capecodbritish/
1971 TR6 project and 1973 TR6 driver

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001 10:41:34 -0400 "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net> writes:
> > I'm still a a little confused though, does anyone know for sure
> which
> > pressure plate the "magic clutch" kit uses?  Some have said it's a
> B&B
> > unit, others say it is a Sachs unit, others say it is a unit from
> > Saab 900.  I wish I had made notes of this when I originally
> installed
> > the clutch...
> >
> > Tim Holbrook
> > 1971 TR6
>
> This should clear up the confusion... the Saab unit is made by
> Sachs, I have
> the Sachs x-reference number somewhere.
>
> This information is directly from the 1984-1985 Quinton Hazell
> Clutch
> Components book:
>
> Clutch Cover Assembly
> Q10028 (Quinton Hazell Part Num.)
> Borg & Beck:  HE2847, HE3338, HE2499
> Saab:  8712036
> Unipart:  GCC139
>
> Rover 2000 SC, 2200 TC    1973-77
> Saab 99 Turbo 4 Speed    1977-
> Saab 900 Turbo 4 Speed    1979-
> Triumph 2500 PI MK.I, II, 2500 TC, 2500S    1965-77
> Triumph TR6    1969-76
> Vauxhall Ventora II FD, from ch.OV252010    1969-72
> Vauxhall Ventora FE    1972-76
> Vauxhall Victor FD 3300, SL (Estate)    1968-72
> Vauxhall Viscount to ch.IV324999    1965-70
>
> It would be interesting to get a hold of each clutch cover and
> compare the
> differences, spring rates, construction, etc.
>
> HTH,
>
> Kai

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type application/msword which had a name
of TR6 data1.doc]