PDWA

To: <tom.lofgren@stanfordalumni.org>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: PDWA
From: "Rex Townsend" <rrt@connectexpress.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 12:07:37 -0800
Hi Tom,
    I too have an early 1969 car, altho not quite as early as yours -
CC26713L.  I had the leaky PDWA blues until I tackled the problem about
three years ago.  I at first tore my unit apart, but found that couldn't get
proper seals that would fit the small bore of my PDWA (the early brass
type).  My solution was to remove the piston assembly and thread the bore of
the unit and to fit two allen-headed set screws, one on either side of the
cavity in the middle for the switch.  If I recall, the bore was stepped with
the smaller diameter in the middle area, so the entire length of the PDWA
didn't have to be threaded.  I used "Stud & Bearing Mount" Locktite on the
threads of the set screws to keep them from leaking or loosening.  I
contacted the manufacturer who assured me that this compound wasn't affected
at all by long term exposure to brake fluid.  Anyway, It hasn't leaked a
drop in three years and looks totally stock.

Rex Townsend