Spark "leakage" at plug wires

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spark "leakage" at plug wires
From: "Martin Presley" <mpresley@hom.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 10:22:45 -0500
I have recently replaced plug wires, cap, rotor, condenser, points, etc. using
Belen wires and Echlin parts.
My question is:
Does a problem exist (such as wires not insulating properly) if you use a
grounded test light as a probe and while checking around each connection you
see a lot of leakage jumping to the probe?  The spark will "jump" if you hold
the probe within an inch of a plug wire/cap connection.
This was happening with the old parts and continues with new plug wires, cap,
etc.
Would you see this leakage regardless of the quality of wires?  I feel like I
am inviting the leakage by putting the probe so close to the cap/wire
connections but my "assistants" (full time mechanics) say there should not be
that much leakage, especially with new wires.

Thanks in advance for your opinions,
M.Presley (new member & new owner)
74 TR6
Forsyth, Ga.