RE: SHIFTER NOISE

To: 6Pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: SHIFTER NOISE
From: william.mcintire@wright.edu
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 06:18:22 -0500
6 Packers
This falls into the fur wot it's wurth dept..I think.

Long ago and far away in the land of TR3's and 2's the gear shifts would
rattle (big time) - sounded like skeletons on a tin roof. This noise was
present at some level on most all cars, but especially if you put a 'real'
shift knob on them in lieu of the rubber doolollie from the factory.

There is a spring around the gearshift lever below the cap thingie that keeps
the shift lever in place. This spring was the source of the noise. The factory
recommended solution....and this is the truth, so help me....was to whack
off a piece of garden hose and put it between the shift lever and the spring.
IT WORKED! We would all hum a rousing rendition of the Mickey Mouse March
while performing this procedure. The noise went away with the advent of TR4s.

Maybe the ghost of Christmas Past is raising it head once again?????
FWIW
Bill