Re: Why does my overdrive delay shifting (Type A) ?

To: Ben Burnweit <a1972tr6@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Why does my overdrive delay shifting (Type A) ?
From: william mcintire <william.mcintire@wright.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 09:13:21 -0500
Ben
The od should shift in quickly - 1 second or less.
If it doesn't, it has a problem building oil
pressure to shift it. This can come from two
areas. One is there may be dirty oil and a
'plugged' filter screen in the od unit. There is a
large brass plug thing on the bottom of the od
unit. remove it (with drain pan under it) and
there is a filter screen above it. Looka likea VW
oil screen. Over time this gets full of crap. Need
to clean the crap out and refil the trans and od
with oil. There is also a needle valve affair
that, if crudded up will inhibit oil pressure. It
is located on top of the od unit under a cap screw
(7/16 wrench size I believe). At one time the
screws were painted red - dunno if they still are.
To remove this - actuate the od unit by flipping
the switch at least TEN times with the ignition on
and the engine off. This relieves the residual
pressure that may be under the cap screw. This
pressure can be in the neighborhood of 400lbs - if
you head is in the way and there is pressure.....
The needle valve lives under the cap screw. Remove
it and clean it with something like carb. cleaner.

The other problem may be the od solenoid does not
move the actuating (shift) arm far enough to
provide quick oil pressure. If you think the
problem it electrical, let me know. In the mean
time I'll think of how explian it's adjustment
without writing a disertation.

What James says re: shifting the unit is correct.
Mine has been going strong since 1970.
HTH
Bill   '70 6