Why does my overdrive delay shifting (Type A) ?

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Why does my overdrive delay shifting (Type A) ?
From: "Ben Burnweit" <a1972tr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2001 21:33:31 -0800
Listers,

Ever since I renewed the coil springs and dampers (Shocks, Heh Heh!) on my
'72 TR6 I've been spending more time (and Fun) on the Freeway.  Hence, I've
been using the overdrive (A type) and the car glides effortlessly well over
70 mph!
I never switch on the OD while the car is moving (I guess that might break
something (?) )
So when I start down the ramp the OD is set on.  About 4 or 5 seconds after
I shift into 2nd the OD Kicks in, (Literally).  Same thing with 3rd and 4th.
  Once were in top gear the car goes like a bullet and I love it!
But, I question is should the OD be delayed like that and should it "kick" ?
I guess the first thing is to check the oil level, but what is the proper
kind of oil and is there anything I should been warned about?

PS- I gotta tell ya:  I was waiting in line at the local burger drive-thru
last night and these three teenagers were sitting on a wall smoking not far
away. I over heard one say, What kind of car is that?"
The other replied, "That's a TR-6! That's a Bad little car!"
OK ...so it made me feel COOL.  (heh heh heh)

Thanks,
Ben