RE: Rear Axle Bearing Adjust

To: ktnkt@cape.com, 6pack@autox.team.net, rmf3860@erols.com
Subject: RE: Rear Axle Bearing Adjust
From: "Cris Hemingway" <cris_tr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 12:50:50 -0800
The trick to dismantling these units is to take enough care not to distort
the wheel flanges.  I did mine with the aid of a 20  ton hydraulic press,
and some strategically placed steel bars that got as close to the hub of the
flange as possible.  They do let go with a BANG though!  Your local machine
shop should be able to provide the help you need to get them apart.

>From that point, the bearing kits from Moss are relatively cheap, and good
quality, (mine had NTN bearings which are a good make).  A word to the wise
when re-asembling.  Getting the right torque on the hub nut is important,
and the 100 or so ft lbs recommended is quite a bit.  Also, getting the
right end play is critical to getting the bearings set up properly so they
won't wear or fail prematurely.  This takes a good vise, a proper dial
indicator with a magnetic base, and a VERY big flat wrench to turn the
adjusting nut on the back of the unit that crushes the spacer.  As the room
to fit a wrench is limited, I ended up using a large pair of parallel jaw
pliers to accomplish this, and it takes quite a bit of force to crush the
sleeve to the appropriate amount of end play.

It can be done with the right tools, and a proper amount of caution to make
sure you get the hub off the taper without damaging it.  Otherwise, the
process is pretty straightforward.

Cris Hemingway
'76 Tahiti Blue TR-6