Re: Clutch repair

To: <P.H.Z@12move.nl>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch repair
From: "Nelson Riedel" <nriedel@nextek.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 16:35:29 -0500
Hi Peter,

There should be no movement between the fork and the shaft.   I've seen
several cases recently where the head of the clutch fork pin bottoms on the
clutch fork boss before the pin fits tightly in the hole in the shaft.   The
solution I've used is to grind the boss down some, maybe an eight of an inch
or so to allow the taper pin to screw in further.

I agree with Dick Taylor, the insurance of an additional bolt, roll pin or
taper pin is worth the effort.  The hole for bolt or pin should be drilled
after the taper pin is tightened such that there is no movement between the
fork and shaft.

I always replace the oil seal if it's more than a couple years old.   Not
sure it's worth the effort though because there always seems to be at least
one leak under my TRs.  If there isn't one at the moment, wait a week.

Nelson Riedel
Granville Ohio
'68TR250, '70TR6, '76TR6