General Questions

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: General Questions
From: "Matt M." <afterburn27@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 09:07:52 -0800 (PST)
Alright, yesterday I got the engine out of my '74 six
and disassembled it and today I am going to try and
get it to a machine shop. One of the questions I have
is about all of the emmissions junk that is on this
car. Someone tried to plug the EGR valve, but I think
they did it wrong because when I am driving, it makes
an annoying sound. I would like to remove this and as
much of the emmissions equipment as possible unless it
doesn't hurt the car's performance. I know that the
EGR valves are known for making engines run badly, but
I don't know about any of the other equipment. How
many of you have removed or disabled it? Also, my TR-6
six is an early '74 because the front bumper is under
the turn signals. Does this mean that I can buy a
bumper from an earlier TR-6 and it will fit onto mine?
Or is it possible to just remove the rubber bumpers?
It looks to me like there will be a hole in the bumper
if I did that. Next, I am looking to buy a higher lift
cam to put into my TR-6, and I was eyeing the crane
mild-street cam. Does this sound like a wise choice?
What other upgrades would be reccomended with this
modification, such as stiffened valve springs, cam
bearings, ect.? One other modification I was thinking
of performing is milling the head to gain a higher
compression ratio, but it seems most people who have
done this are getting more problems than performance
increase. Wouldn't you need to buy shortened pushrods
and other modded engine parts to have the engine run
nicely with the milled head? Plus, would the engine
need better cooling? It seems that a higher
compression wold make the car run hotter. I think that
is all for now, thanks in advance for your help.

                                        -Matt