Re: Old Car Prices

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Old Car Prices
From: info@theyeagergroup.com
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 10:07:19 -0800
Greetings,

> Hey don't call the increasing prices silly, our cars are beginning to get
> more valuable.

Well, true, but.........

>From my perspective the market is not at all predictable.  From what I can
>tell many
current selling and asking prices are silly.  I have seen poor examples go for
more than
I think my car is worth and much nicer cars go for less than $7,000.  A lot of
the people
doing appraisals have no idea what to do with a British car.  They can peg the
market
on a '57 Chevy Nomad but think a heavily modified British car, say a 302 Ford
equipped
Stag (or pick any British car modified in such a manner) is a valuable hotrod.

Many of us, myself included, have a TR6 because we like to drive and tinker
with old
sports cars.  Even back in the early 1980s when I purchased mine the TR6s were
very
affordable.  I know the prices are going to go up, but I want to afford to
drive it, insure it,
and take it to meets.  I have made  modifications that keep with the "spirit"
of the car.
The TR6 currently has more power and reliability than when I got it and gets
about 24-
27 MPG highway.  Is it nice, I think so.  Is it original, no.  Will I ever win
a concours with
it, no.  Am I happy with it and its performance, yes.

A slow predicable rise in TR6 values is more inline with most hobby oriented TR
owners.  I do not relish spending more than I paid for my car in 1981 on a
parts car.
>From my stand point a meteoric rise in TR6 prices fueled by speculators is not
>really
what many of TR hobbyists care to see.