Re: Valve replacement for a newbie?

To: John <jhardt@columbus.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Valve replacement for a newbie?
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 10:27:22 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 1 May 2002, John wrote:

> PS: I forgot to mention the engine on this car was supposedly rebuilt 14,000
> miles ago.

... and the warranty ran out last week.

:-)

Sorry - couldn't resist.

It might be worthwhile to see who did what to the motor so you can
eliminate possible trouble spots. For example, maybe the motor got rings
and a valve job, but they just stuck the old rocker shaft back on.

It's pretty easy to miss important steps in a rebuild and keep the cost
down.

However, if the rebuild was done professionally, there should be some
documentation on what was done and what parts were used. If not - well,
you gotta make some guesses about what was done.

The broken valve spring can be from over-revving, but it could also be due
to the valve "hanging" in the guide. It can also be due to excessive cam
lift - is there a "cam" in this thing (meaning a high-lift non-stock cam)?

I'd go for a valve job and really check the rocker shaft. Then I'd look
into coil binding on the valve springs.

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |