Fwd: Tire and Wheel Advice

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: Tire and Wheel Advice
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 07:23:53 -0700 (PDT)
Panasport wheels have a great reputation.  I have a set of 15x6 on my
car.  They also make a 16x7 now, which fits the TR6, and allows you to
go to a lower profile tire while keeping the same overall tire/wheel
diameter (necesary for speedo accuracy).

I run 205/65-15 tires on my car.  205/70-15 is closest to the stock
tire diameter.  I went with a 65 series tire because there is a better
selection of more "aggressive" tires in that size, and a lower profile
tire will yield better handling.  The difference in overall diameter is
very small, so speedometer error is negligible (besides, I'm not sure
how accurate these speedos were when new anyway!).

If I had it to do over again, I think I'd go with the 16x7 Panasport,
and use 205/60-16 or 215/55-16 tires.  In my opinion, anything over 215
is overkill on a TR6, and isn't really necessary.

I got my wheels from K Speed (I believe they have a website, not sure
of the address though), their prices were much better than the big
three.  I got my tires from the Tirerack (www.tirerack.com), they have
great prices and offer great technical advice.

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6