Re: Tire and Wheel Advice

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tire and Wheel Advice
From: Shane Ingate <madmax_xx@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 16:38:37 -0400
Tim Holbrook wrote:

> If I had it to do over again, I think I'd go with the 16x7 Panasport,
> and use 205/60-16 or 215/55-16 tires.  In my opinion, anything over 215
> is overkill on a TR6, and isn't really necessary.

215 or greater tire widths on the Panasport 15x7 or 16x7 wheels run the risk
of fouling the fender lip during suspension compression.  These rims have
zero offset with 3.9" of backspace moves the centerline of the wheel
outboard compared with the stock wheels.  205-width tires barely clear the
fender lip now.

If one has the cash, Panasport are about to make modulars in 17".  Yum.

And now, a note on updates on my emerging TR6 street-racer.  The car has
been gutted and Lenny Renkenberger and I will probably lift off the body
this weekend or the next.  Body then goes to the sand-blasters so that
body-work can begin.  While Lenny works the body, I'll be working the
chassis, concentrating mostly on stiffening the structure without adding too
much weight (a contradiction).  I'm being tempted to replace it with a tube
frame.  Stay tuned.

Cheers,

Shane Ingate
Maryland, USA