another tire question

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: another tire question
From: "Vink, Graham" <vinkg@fleishman.com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 08:29:23 -0500
Hello all,

I'm new to this list, but not to Triumphs, so greetings.

Another questions re TR6 tires: for a daily driver (ie non-racing), how much
difference to handling will good tires make, considering that the original
tires (the tall, hard, skinny Michelins) had virtually no sticking abilities
whatsoever? Wouldn't even a set of cheapo Generals, Kumhos or whatever in
the 70 series be likely to produce handling at least as good as the
80-series originals?

I don't drive my TR6 hard, at least until I find a roll bar, so I'm
wondering if a set of cheapo tires that let me go slip-slidin' around would
be OK. This would be on stock wheels. I have another car for true sports car
driving, so I'm not interested in ultimate performance.

--Graham

'63 Austin Healey 3000
'72 TR6
'87 Mazda RX7 NA