spreading steering rack mounts

To: "6 Pack (E-mail)" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: spreading steering rack mounts
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 12:33:25 -0600
Hi, does anyone have any neat tips or tricks for separating the steering
rack mounts on a TR6 in order to tighten them up? The Bentley manual has
references to a tool which looks like it would definitely do the job. But I
don't have this tool (although I'm thinking about making it since I can't
come up with any decent ideas on how to do what it does). My mounts are
currently both loose so I can't use the opposite lock method described on
the VTR site. Also, the car is all assembled (ie the radiator and front
frame cross member are in place) so my access is limited.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO