RE:TR6 noise

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE:TR6 noise
From: William Whitmoyer <wwhitmoyer@samsonite.net>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 09:26:47 -0400
I had a similar condition in my TR6 that was getting louder over time but
my differential was fairly new...greasing the U joints in the rear axles
cured that noise (all my UJs have grease nipples).  I had let them run
about 7K before greasing, as they are difficult to get to with a normal
grease gun.  I ended up filing down a 90 degree grease gun adapter for
Chrysler FWD for the ones by hub and using a "pin" style head to do the
ones by the diff, as a regular grease gun nozzle doesn't really fit.  The
noise could be a bunch of other things (diff, wheel bearings), but you
might want to try this cheaper/easier approach first to rule out the UJs if
you have grease nipples.  In general, using UJs in independent suspension
axles was quickly superceded by CV joints, as the high amount of movement
in the axles really stresses a UJ (vs. in a driveshaft).  If you have a lot
of miles on sealed-for-life UJs, you may want to consider changing them if
you don't find an easy answer.