Re: ZS Carb trouble 74TR6-reply

To: pjgraffam@juno.com
Subject: Re: ZS Carb trouble 74TR6-reply
From: ShewFamily@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 22:45:49 EDT
Al,
The obvious problem could be a stuck float valve.  I recently did a complete
rebuild of my carbs using the professional rebuild kit from Moss.  Cranked
it, adjusted the carbs and set the timing and drove it around the block - ran
great.  When I returned, I stopped in my driveway for just a moment.  My
driveway slopes down at about 10 degrees.  I let it idle for a few minutes
while I stopped to check something in my interior.  It slowly went dead.  I
let it roll into my garage and pulled the air cleaner off to see if I could
find the problem.  When I tried to crank it, gas poured out the front carb.
I tried banging (carefully) around the float chamber.  No luck.  I had to
pull the carb off and found the valve stuck.  Rotated it several times in the
bore until it wouldn't stick.  No more problems.

One other area to check.  I found last year that when the inside gasket on
the temperature compensator valves was missing that gas would pour from the
carb as well.  Long story, but I had pulled the compensator valve off to
adjust them and the gasket in the bore came out and dropped on the floor.
Yes, it drove me crazy trying to figure out the problem, but I retraced my
steps and noticed the gasket was missing.  Shined the light on the floor and
there it was.  Replaced it and no more leaks.  Good luck.
John Shewmake
'74 TR6
Chattanooga, TN