RE: Speedo reading high -- J-type question

To: "Triumphs@Autox. Team. Net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: Speedo reading high -- J-type question
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 07:02:44 -0600

I seem to recall being able to determine the number of teeth by merely
removing the speedo driven gear assembly and rotating the driving gear - no
need to take the OD apart. Of course this might mean removal of the gearbox
tunnel but that's considerably less effort than dis-assembling the OD :-).
I've forgotten the number of teeth now unfortunately, but I think you are
right, there are two versions of that gear.

> I'm betting that my J-type has the 8-tooth
> driving gear, and not the proper 7-tooth
> driving gear for my '6's speedo.

You might also check your speedo. Mine (also a late 76) has a calibration
number that's different from the ones you normally see on the later cars
(ie. the cars with the small gauges that have the needles pointing up). It
is SN 6411/10 1000, I think most other speedos I've looked at have 1184
instead of the 1000. I _think_ this number represents the number of turns of
the cable for one mile on the speedo (but don't quote me on that). If you
have the 1184 speedo see if you can temporarily fit one with 1000 and
compare those readings. Or if you have the 1000 one, see if you can find the
1184 (I think these are more common) and try that.

There is also the question of tires and the service interval counter. I have
the Michelin X red lines and my counter is removed. My speed readings are
correct. They were also correct when the counter was in place.

Peter Zaborski -- CF58310 UO