RE: Rear and front shocks for '72 TR6

To: "'CWVAUGHAN@cs.com'" <CWVAUGHAN@cs.com>,
Subject: RE: Rear and front shocks for '72 TR6
From: "Vink, Graham" <vinkg@fleishman.com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 11:17:51 -0500
I had a 69 TR6 and did the following:

--replaced mounting brackets for rear trailing arms with later versions to
improve anti-squat.

--installed new rear Armstrong shocks and new front tube shocks (Roadster
Factory).

--installed sports springs all around (Roadster Factory).

--installed all new rubber bushings (stock) front and rear.

the result, IMHO, was a pretty nice riding, nice handling car.

it's since been suggested that if you're going to install sports springs, to
get the rear Armstrongs revalved with higher-resistance bushings to control
the springs better. but I thought new shocks worked just fine.

I happen to be one of these stock as a rock guys, so I frown on rear shock
replacements. But if you do, everyone says to get the good kit (Moss) that
mounts to the frame, not the bad kit (Vic British) that mounts to body sheet
metal. and apparently you have to be careful about tire width in the rear.

generally speaking, especially in older cars, the "better" the handling, the
harder the ride.

Graham

63 Austin Healey 3000 BJ7
72 Triumph TR6