Door Gaps and the Flexible Flyer

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Door Gaps and the Flexible Flyer
From: "Jerry Shaw" <jcs104@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 09:55:15 -0400
My neighbor restores Bentley's and Silver Shadows, and hence he's too expensive
for me, but he calls my TR6 a "flexible flyer".
Perhaps a little snobbish, but apparently with some justification.

Upon reading Roger Williams' book on TR6 restoration, he mentions on page 50-51
the procedure for adjusting door gaps, something he
suggests doing before beginning a one-piece restoration, i.e., keeping the tub
on the frame while restoring rusted floors and sills.

He also mentions "hogged" frames, i.e., frames that have "Cooper's Droop" in
the rear. There are aluminum spacers under the rear
body supports, which can be added to, in order to compenstate for this, and
thus allow the door gaps to be adjusted. This procedure
description is incomplete, from what I can learn, since there are also aluminum
spacers where the body attaches to the "cruciform"
plate. I assume both attachment points must be adjusted, since both have the
same aluminum spacer.

Can anyone attest to the correct procedure?

Jerry Shaw
'74, '75 TR6s