Re: sticky clutch...the repair begins

To: theedge@cts.com (Alan & Debbie Lindner)
Subject: Re: sticky clutch...the repair begins
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 23:21:38 -0700 (PDT)
Alan---The nose piece, or front cover, should be .006 smaller in
diameter than the inside diameter of the carrier sleeve. Give yourself
+/- .002 here, as it is not a critical dimension. (Some may say there
should be as much as .010 running clearance. I find that excessive.)

 The "hole" in this front cover I would guess to be a weep hole, meant
to allow any oil that gets by the transmission front seal to come down
and possibly lubricate the sleeve.The problem is, if the seal does its
job, there IS no oil! Therefore, it is necessary to lubricate this area
with a good grease, so the carrier can slide and not cause the clutch to
"stick during disengagement", as you have described.

There's a couple of other things that help to keep this area happy, and
it's described in more detail in the Buckeye Triumph website, under
"Sticky Clutch". You'll want to visit this, while you have the
transmission out.

Dick Taylor
CF11143