Fwd: Re: TR6 Handling

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: Re: TR6 Handling
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 17:13:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 16:38:07 -0700 (PDT)
To: mrdr@buckeyeweb.com (The Romagni's)
Subject: Re: TR6 Handling

Marty---The crisper handling that you are after can be had by reducing
the rubber in the suspension parts. Replacing the stock bushings with
any kind of poly, nylon, or whatever is available will take a lot of the
squish out of the steering and body roll. I cannot tell you the
durometers of the different choices, but suspect that the higher prices
have more to do with the longivity of the material.  It is noted that
anything but rubber will squeak, unless coated with a good lubricant
during installation.

I don't believe the rubber packing pieces at each end of the springs add
much squish to the handling. They are pretty much compressed, and their
position and diameters suggest that their purpose is more to avoid
groans from chaffing at the ends.

I wouldn't purchase road springs from any company not familiar with the
dynamics of the TR. The most consistant ones I've come across have been
the semi-comp style from TRF. GoodParts gets high marks from those who
use them, also.

A rear anti roll bar is also a good investment. You can make one using
the Comp Prep Manual instructions. I would suggest going with the 5/8"
bar, as the 9/16" diameter it too light, and as such doesn't increase
the spring rate enough, if built as instructed.
There are pre-made packages available to increase the front bar
diameter, as well as add a rear bar. Check out the performance sections
of our parts suppliers.  Be mindful that too much rear bar can make the
heart beat faster if you overcook a turn.

Finally, the shorter the tire side wall, the less the compliance, the
sharper the feel. Everything is a trade off.  It will be difficult to
get the TR to handle like a "new car". These people have all of the
resources to tune the ride.
When changing the TR suspension, it's best to do both ends of the car at
the same time. And it is fun to do.

Dick Taylor
'73