RE: TR6 Handling

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR6 Handling
From: "Vink, Graham" <vinkg@fleishman.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 08:50:30 -0500
I replaced all my bushings with stock rubber bushings, and was perfectly
satisfied, but I assume you'll get crisper handling with the poly versions
(plus they're easier to install on the trailing arms, and they last longer).
I'm sure others will chime in with their experiences regarding poly.

I replaced my springs with the uprated springs from TRF -- same ride height
-- and was very pleased. On most older TRs with original springs, the rear
ends are sagging badly, which not only reduces suspension travel, it screws
up the suspension alignment. So I think you'll notice a big difference with
new springs.

However, if you want Passat-like handling, you're going to have a VERY stiff
ride (poly bushings, uprated springs, uprated shocks, sold steering rack
mount, uprated tires, uprated sway bar, etc.). Suspension design has
progressed a lot in the 40-odd years since the TR chassis was designed.
Also, the Passat probably has lower-profile (60-series?), stickier tires
than you'll be putting on your TR6.

But that's not why I have my TR6 -- when I want handling, I go drive my 1987
RX7.

Graham