Re: Paint Prep Questions

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Paint Prep Questions
From: ShewFamily@aol.com
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 10:47:32 -0400
I am starting to prepare my '74 TR6 to go to the body shop after the
altercation with the Volvo Wagon.  The hard parts like wheel arch, inner fender
and front valance are on back order from British Motor Heritage and are not
expected to be shipped for 4 to 6 weeks.  That gives me plenty of time to
prepare the rest of my car for the body work and paint.  I have a few questions.
1) The guy who blasts with plastic media here in Chattanooga has gone out of
business. Therefore, I am going to have to remove the paint myself.  Has anyone
had experience with the aircraft paint removers?  How many gallons can I expect
to purchase to do the left front fender, door, left quarter, trunk, right
quarter and right door?  Any tips would be appreciated.  For hard to reach
places, I have a sand blaster that I plan to use on low pressure after using
the paint stripper.
2) The underside of my fenders and the inner fenders and wheel arches have been
under-coated.  I plan to remove this.  In the wisdom of the list, what is the
best way to remove?

As always, thanks for your help.
John Shewmake
'74 TR6